Being Southern I love biscuits and sweet potatoes. These are wonderful and remind me of my Daddy.
3 cups self-rising flour, White Lily
3/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup sweet potato, baked
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1. Mix flour, sugar and cinnamon together.
2. Add in buttermilk, sweet potato and shortening.
3. Mix well until dough is no longer sticky but is holding together well. You may have to add a little more flour to the bowl for this but do it in pinches so as not to make it too dry.
4. Lay down a sheet of wax paper and dust with flour. Place dough on wax paper and pat out dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut biscuits out with a cookie cutter or a cup or whatever.
5. Put uncooked biscuits on sprayed sheet pan.
6. Bake at 450 for about 5 minutes. Pull from oven and rub tops with butter. Place back in oven and allow to finish cooking until golden brown. (Should take about 5 more mins or so. Keep a careful eye on them!)4
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 190 Calories; 7g Fat (31.8% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 28g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 6mg Cholesterol; 434mg Sodium.
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.