I found a great site and a great recipe! Minimalist Baker! I love sweet potatoes and I love oats, too! Great combo!!!!!
- 1 cup rolled oats, GF for gluten free eaters (see instructions for steel cut oats)
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup sweet potato puree (~ 1 small potato | roasting instructions below)
- 2-3 Tbsp brown sugar, maple syrup, or other sweetener of choice
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 Tbsp flaxseed meal (optional)
- 3 Tbsp sub roasted pecans
- To roast your sweet potato, preheat oven to 400 degrees F and cut a sweet potato in half and lightly coat with olive oil. Place flesh side down on a foil lined baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until soft and tender. This will depend on your size of potato. (Alternatively, pierce a few times with a fork and microwave for 4-5 minutes until tender.)
- Once done, pull potatoes out of the oven and start your oats (see notes for steel cut directions). Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. Once boiling add your oats and reduce heat to medium. Continue cooking until the oats have absorbed most of the water – about 5 minutes – stirring frequently.
- In the meantime, mashed your sweet potato and measure out roughly 1/2 cup. Set aside.
- Once your oats are just about done cooking (~5 minute mark), stir in sweet potato puree, sweetener of choice, cinnamon and flax seed and stir to combine. Taste and adjust flavor/seasonings as desired. To thin, add a splash of non-dairy milk (such as almond).
- Divide oats between two serving bowls and sprinkle with roasted pecans. Add a drizzle of honey for more sweetness. Enjoy immediately. Best when fresh.