1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 cup butter
1/8 cup apple sauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs beaten
1 1/4 cups beets, cooked and mashed
1/3 cup pecans, chopped
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1. In a bowl, combine cocoa, butter or apple sauce and vanilla, and mix well.
2. In another bowl combine flour , sugar, baking soda and salt.
3. Mix well and add to cocoa mixture. Blend in eggs and beets. Beat two minutes with an electric mixer. Stir in chopped nuts and chocolate chips, if desired.
4. Pour in a 9×13 greased pan.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until baked through.
6. Allow to cool.
Notes: can top with ice cream or whipped cream.
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 364 Calories; 20g Fat (47.1% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 47g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 41mg Cholesterol; 415mg Sodium.
Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 4 Fat; 2 Other Carbohydrates.