I’m liking the idea of the slow cooker. Easy peasy! I found this site that had a great recipe. Now I tweaked a little and added some liquid smoke because that is the South in me.
1 pound pork shoulder roast
2 cups chicken broth
3 each bay leaves, whole
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon liquid Barbecue Smoke®
6 each tortilla, whole wheat 96% fat free flour
2 each avocado, chopped
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1. Cut pork into quarters.
2. Combine ingredients for the rub and really rub it into the meat. All four pieces should be fully coated. Make sure to use all of the rub.
3. Place pork into slow cooker and add bay leaves and garlic.
4. Carefully pour chicken broth and liquid smoke into the slow cooker without removing the rub from the pork.
5. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or until fork tender. Should be falling apart.
6. Carefully remove the pork and shred with two forks.
7. Add reserved juice as needed to shredded pork to gain desired level of moistness.
8. Warm tortillas and place shredded pork in tortilla. Top with avocado and tomatoes.
Notes: Serve with a salad and/or other veggies. You can also use the meat to top a baked potato or use it as a topping for a lunch/dinner salad and eat it as a salad.
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 413 Calories; 24g Fat (50.7% calories from fat); 17g Protein; 35g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 40mg Cholesterol; 1013mg Sodium.
Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 3 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.