I love black beans and rice. I’m trying to find ways to get more veggies, though, too. Here’s a great way!
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup brown rice
1/2 can green chili peppers
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 1/2 cups black beans, canned, drained and rinsed
1/2 package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeeze water out
1. In a stockpot over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add the onion and garlic, saute for 4 minutes. Add the rice and saute for 2 minutes.
2. Add the vegetable broth, bring to a boil, cover and lower the heat and cook for 20 minutes. Add the spices, green chii peppers, beans and spinach. Allow to heat through for approximately 10 minutes
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 283 Calories; 4g Fat (12.2% calories from fat); 13g Protein; 49g Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary Fiber; 1mg Cholesterol; 904mg Sodium.
Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat.
- Easy Black Bean Burritos and Mexican Salad (simplenourishinghome.wordpress.com)
- Recipe: TDF Vegan Black Bean and Avocado Salad (naturalremediesblog.net)
- Vegan Southwestern Black Bean Quinoa and Mango Medley (familyfocusblog.com)
- Black Bean + Quinoa Salad (juliepierson.com)
- Chipotle Copycat (mollymakesfood.wordpress.com)
- Recipe: Black Bean and Corn Salsa (onegreenplanet.org)