Easter is coming and carrot cake is one of my absolute favorites! My Aunt Becky makes the best but I do not even want to know how many calories is in that thing! But lemme tell ya, if I had a piece in front of me I couldn’t resist it! I would scarf that thing down so quick you wouldn’t be able to blink. But I found this version which sounds pretty darned good and much healthier! I love Skinny Taste! I did make some changes to their recipe to suit my Southern sensibilities. Sorry, but I don’t put coconut or walnuts on my carrot cake. Nope! I do use pecans, though! I think a slice of this on a holiday wouldn’t break the calorie bank if you were watching other calories. I’m putting my version up because it changes the calorie count but you can see their version too at the link above.
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups grated carrots
20 ounces crushed pineapple in juice, drained
1/2 cup chopped pecans, divided
8 ounces neufchatel cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and spices; stir well with a whisk.
2. In a medium bowl, combine oil, eggs, and vanilla; stir well. Add grated carrots and pineapple; mix well. Fold wet ingredients with the dry ingredients, batter will be stiff and dry but keep folding it and it will all come together. Fold in 1/4 cup chopped nuts.
3. Spoon batter into an 8″ x 3″ cake pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for about 40-50 minutes, depending on pan size or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and cake is pulling away from sides of pan. Cool cake completely on a wire rack.
4. To prepare frosting, beat together cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Spread frosting over top of cake. Garnish with remaining chopped pecans.
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 234 Calories; 8g Fat (31.4% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 37g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 37mg Cholesterol; 362mg Sodium.
Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.
- skinny carrot cake cupcakes with cinnamon whipped topping and coconut. (gabbytrecipes.wordpress.com)
- Super Moist Carrot Cake. (sallysbakingaddiction.com)
- 34/365: National Carrot Cake Day (eatmywords365.com)