Eating Well had me drooling on the keyboard on this one. I love mushrooms and I love ricotta. This is also meatless. Winner!!!!!!!!! Then the calories….omg! 210 for a serving. Seriously. Yeah, I know! I was stunned!
4 large Portobello mushroom caps
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
1 cup ricotta cheese, part skim milk
1 cup fresh spinach, finely chopped
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
2 tablespoons kalamata olive, chopped
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
3/4 cup marinara sauce
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Place mushroom caps, gill-side up, on the prepared pan. Sprinkle with salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Roast until tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, mash ricotta, spinach, 1/4 cup Parmesan, olives, Italian seasoning and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Place marinara sauce in a small bowl, cover and microwave on High until hot, 30 seconds to 1 1/2 minutes.
4. When the mushrooms are tender, carefully pour out any liquid accumulated in the caps. Return the caps to the pan gill-side up. Spread 1 tablespoon marinara into each cap; cover the remaining sauce to keep warm. Mound a generous 1/3 cup ricotta filling into each cap and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan. Bake until hot, about 10 minutes. Serve with the remaining marinara sauce.
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 210 Calories; 11g Fat (47.0% calories from fat); 15g Protein; 14g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 27mg Cholesterol; 718mg Sodium.
Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 Fat.
- Portobello “Philly Cheese Steak” Sandwich (livingtoolarge.wordpress.com)
- Meatless Monday: Brie and walnut topped portobello mushrooms (csmonitor.com)