Have you ever wondered what makes a super food super? I have. I mean, most of them taste great, but what makes them super? I decided to find out. The following things determine if a food is super. I’m going to keep looking into this matter and see what else I can find. For now, this is what I have.
- Nutrient Density – Basically the number of nutrients in ratio to calories. A fresh super food packed with nutrients is nutrient dense.
- Aggregate Nutrient Density Index system (ANDI) – This is just a rating scale of the nutrient density of foods of most to least.
- pH Balance – The acidity of our body keeps us going or not. The more acidic we are, the more we feel bad. We need a balance. Eating a more alkaline diet brings balance to us. BTW, refined foods and animal products are more acidic. If you want to learn how to check your own pH, you can learn how here.
- ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) Value – This is a measure of subduing free radicals in a test tube. Free radicals are bad and lead to aging and disease; you want those things STOPPED! The higher the ORAC number, the more antioxidants the food has, which leads to being a super food.
Examples of Super Foods (there are many more):Apples Apricots Artichokes Asparagus Avocados Bananas Beans/Lentils Beets Bell Peppers Berries Broccoli Brussel Sprouts Cabbage Cantaloupe Carrots Cauliflower Cherries Chia Seeds Dark Chocolate Eggs Fish Flax Garlic Grapes Green Tea Hot Peppers Kale Kiwi Lemon/Lime Low-fat Yogurt Mangoes Mushrooms Nuts Oats Olive Oil Oranges Papaya Peaches Pineapple Potatoes Pumpkin Pomegranates Quinoa Rice (Brown) Spinach Sprouts Sweet Potatoes Swiss Chard Tomatoes Wheat Germ Winter Squash
- The Basics of the Alkaline-Based Diet (healing.answers.com)
- Super food benefits:) the student way (indelibleliving.wordpress.com)
- 5 Super foods you should eat (yourweightlossbonous.com)
- To Be a Super Person We Need to Eat Super Foods (savorthefood.wordpress.com)
- Super Food Smoothies and Farfalle with Feta (summersaidpress.com)
- Top 10 Super Foods In 2013 (dangerouslee.biz)
- Alkaline diet: What you need to know about this wonder diet (voxxi.com)
- Blueberries and More: The Best Food Sources of Antioxidants (healing.answers.com)
- The A-List Go ‘Alkaline’ – The Diet Everyone Is Raving About (celebuzz.com)
- The Top 10 Super Foods for Weight Loss (leanonlife.com)