You hear all these negative things about soda and usually pooh-pooh them. Well I have been really thinking about them. Mind you, I am NOT an expert. I am a caffeine junkie. I live off Diet Mountain Dew. When I used to smoke, I jokingly said my main vitamins were caffeine and nicotine. Now it is just caffeine. Frankly, I don’t think caffeine is still so terrible. Quantity is what we should watch out for. I shouldn’t have the quantity that I use, but I work at night and I am fighting my natural rhythm.
So why am I wondering about what I love so much? I have noticed how thirsty I am lately. A lot of it has to do with the fact that I have been sick most of 2013. I have had sinus issues and if any of you have dealt with that, you know you have to drink a lot. I have drunk my trusty ol’ Diet Mountain Dew and I need more and more to feel satisfied and my tongue feels like sandpaper. Also, I have found that I have had some swelling, mostly visible in extremities. This made me wonder if it was related to the extra soda. I think it does. I feel like it may be making me dehydrated even though I am drinking a lot.
I have a sneaking suspicion I am going to have to start cutting back on something I have been drinking 2/3 of my life. Do I like this? NOOOOOO!!!!!! I’m not cutting it out cold turkey. I already have headache issues. I’m not going into withdrawals. I am going to start cutting back. I am also going to start substituting lots of water and tea. (I am Southern after all! We like our Sweet Tea! And yes, it will be LIGHTLY sweetened with sugar. I am not heavy-handed with the sugar but I don’t like brewed dirt.) So I think I have to look at this issue and fix it.
- Is Diet Soda Making You Fat? (denverbreaktime.com)
- Should I Kick the Diet Soda Habit? (everydayhealth.com)
- Diet Soda Bigger Diabetes Threat Than Sugary Stuff (newser.com)
- Why Diet Soda Could Be Killing You (belmarrahealth.com)
- The many ill effects of diet soda (manilastandardtoday.com)
- Diet Sodas….. Interesting concept! (gemzisschoolblog.blogspot.com)
- Soda May Increase the Risk of Heart Disease and Metabolic Syndrome (liheart.org)
- Kick the Caffeine Craving (massageenvy.com)
- Diet Soda Linked to Depression in NIH-Funded Study (consciouslifenews.com)
- The Truth About Diet Soda and Why It Won’t Help Your Diet (weightloss.answers.com)