Lasagna anyone? In a slow cooker? And low-cal (compared to most lasagnas)? Triple threat! I found it on Eating Well. Actually, it is a quadruple threat because it is also vegetarian. How’s that?! Wooohooo!!!! I would personally add spices to the tomatoes. Sorry, I’m a spice girl. Not like the singers. I do like their music,though. I just like lots of flavor!
- 1 large egg
- 1 15- to 16-ounce container part-skim ricotta
- 1 5-ounce package baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 3 large or 4 small portobello mushroom caps, gills removed, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 small zucchini, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch of crushed red pepper (optional)
- 15 whole-wheat lasagna noodles (about 12 ounces), uncooked
- 3 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella, divided
- Combine egg, ricotta, spinach, mushrooms and zucchini in a large bowl.
- Combine crushed and diced tomatoes and their juice, garlic and crushed red pepper (if using) in a medium bowl.
- Generously coat a 6-quart or larger slow cooker with cooking spray. Spread 1 1/2 cups of the tomato mixture in the slow cooker. Arrange 5 noodles over the sauce, overlapping them slightly and breaking into pieces to cover as much of the sauce as possible. Spread half of the ricotta-vegetable mixture over the noodles and firmly pat down, then spoon on 1 1/2 cups sauce and sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella. Repeat the layering one more time, starting with noodles. Top with a third layer of noodles. Evenly spread the remaining tomato sauce over the noodles. Set aside the remaining 1 cup mozzarella in the refrigerator.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on High for 2 hours or on Low for 4 hours. Turn off the slow cooker, sprinkle the reserved mozzarella on the lasagna, cover and let stand for 10 minutes to melt the cheese.
TIPS & NOTES
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 6-quart (or larger) slow cooker
- Tip: The dark gills found on the underside of a portobello mushroom cap are edible, but can turn a dish an unappealing gray color. If you like, gently scrape the gills off with a spoon.
Per serving: 414 calories; 14 g fat ( 8 g sat , 4 g mono ); 63 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 7 g fiber; 641 mg sodium; 829 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium & Vitamin A (56% daily value), Vitamin C (39% dv), Iron & Magnesium (26% dv), Zinc (25% dv), Potassium (24% dv), Folate (18% dv).
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 1/2 medium-fat meat
- Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers Recipe (myfabulousfrugallife.com)
- Sweet Potato Beef Stew in the Slow Cooker (andreasgardencooking.com)
- Celebrating a Year of Slow Cooker Deliciousness as Slow Cooker from Scratch Turns One! (kalynskitchen.com)
- Slow Cooker Spaghetti Sauce (myrecipeshare.wordpress.com)