3 large onions, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1 bay leaf
4 cans beef broth
8 ounces mozzarella cheese
8 ounces croutons, seasoned
1. In 3-4 quart crockpot, combine onions, melted butter, olive oil, and sugar. Cover crockpot and cook onions on high heat for 30-40 minutes or until onions begin to brown around the edges. Stir thoroughly.
2. Sprinkle flour, salt, and pepper over the onions; mix well. Let cook for 15 minutes longer on high. Then add thyme, worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, and beef broth and stir again. Cover crockpot and cook on LOW for 7-9 hours until onions are tender. Remove bay leaf before serving.
3. Serve each bowl with 1 ounce of mozzarella and 1 ounce of croutons.
Note: You save over 150 calories by omitting the cheese and croutons!
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 310 Calories; 15g Fat (44.8% calories from fat); 15g Protein; 27g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 31mg Cholesterol; 1276mg Sodium.
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 2 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
- Crockpot Goulash (livingtoolarge.wordpress.com)
- “French” Onion Soup with Gruyere Croutons (foodblogandthedog.wordpress.com)
- French onion soup is so comforting! (stuffcynloves.com)
- Smokin’ Texas Gourmet Sweet Onion and Peach Salsa (foodswelove.com)