Pasta Fagioli…good warm, cold, and room temp!
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium spanish onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup italian parsley, finely chopped
2 tablespoons tomato paste
8 cups chicken stock
1 cup navy beans, canned, rinsed and drained
1 cup pinto beans, canned, rinsed and drained
1 cup kidney beans, canned, rinsed and drained
2 cups fusilli
salt and pepper, to taste
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1. In a Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over high heat until almost smoking. Add the parsley and onion and cook, stirring, until the onion is browned and soft, 8 to 10 minutes.
2. Stir in the tomato paste, reduce the heat to medium, and cook for 10 minutes. Add the chicken stock and beans and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Add the pasta and simmer for 10 more minutes. Remove from the heat, season with salt and pepper, and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
4. Divide the soup among six serving bowls, drizzle with the remaining olive oil and garnish with parsley.
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 348 Calories; 15g Fat (39.1% calories from fat); 11g Protein; 40g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 3420mg Sodium.
Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 3 Fat.
- 15-Minute Pasta e Fagioli (emmycooks.com)
- Stuffed Acorn Squash All’Amatriciana (cucinaceri.com)
- Thanksgiving Holiday Sides (lisacooking.com)
- What Makes Beans Good for Us? (jovinacooksitalian.com)