I have a Vitamin B12 deficiency. It’s called Pernicious Anemia. This is a serious problem for me because it causes serious lethargy. For the last few years I have been exhausted. I thought I was just tired. Then we thought maybe it was depression. But when my blood was checked, my doctor was very concerned. They wanted me to come in for shots but I can’t afford to take shots all the time. And as I have stated in other posts, I am a procrastinator. I put off taking care of myself like I should. so today I purchased some liquid B12. Why liquid? Liquid gets in your system better and just is easier for me to absorb. It’s almost as good as a shot and it is fast acting.
You may wonder if B12 is that big of a deal. It really is. According to Web MD:
“If your vitamin B12 deficiency is mild, you may not have symptoms or you may not notice them. Some people may think they are just the result of growing older. As the anemia gets worse, you may:
- Feel weak, tired, and lightheaded.
- Have pale skin.
- Have a sore, red tongue or bleeding gums.
- Feel sick to your stomach and lose weight.
- Have diarrhea or constipation.
If the level of vitamin B12 stays low for a long time, it can damage your nerve cells. If this happens, you may have:
- Numbness or tingling in your fingers and toes.
- A poor sense of balance.
- Dementia, a loss of mental abilities.”
That’s some serious business. What have my symptoms been? Weakness, tiredness, lightheadedness, pale skin, some numbness and tingling which I hope and pray is not long-term nerve damage, and depression.
Don’t take B12 when you are ready for sleep. You won’t sleep well. It’s good for energy. Take it when it is time to be awake. I plan to take mine to work with me so I can go ahead and just do a dropperful when I get to work and be ready to go!
To find out more about B12 deficiency, you can go to WebMD and read more.
- Mental Changes from B12 Deficiency are Almost always misdiagnosed (lincoln55plus.org)
- Are You at Risk for Vitamin B12 Deficiency? (slideshare.net)
- Vitamin B12 (goodbyemymuffintop.com)
- Health problems commonly associated with vitamin b12 deficiency anemia (politics4all.com)